Local History

The name MESSINGHAM is of Angle origin from the Maessingus tribe meaning home of the Maessa and his people.

How the village’s name has changed through the centuries:

1066 MAESSINGAHAM
1086 MESSINGEHAM
1116 MASSINGEHAM
1289 MESSINGHAM
1327 MESSYNGHAM
1344 MASSINGHAM
1526 MESSYNGHAM
1877 MESSINGHAM

The Messingham History Group © 2006 has produced a book entitled:

A BRIEF HISTORY OF MESSINGHAM

which includes chapters on the Church, Chapels, Mills, Education, and Messingham Feast together with many photographs and illustrations.

Copies of the book can be obtained from the Clerk to the Parish Council at a cost of £3.00 each (plus P & P)
Postage charges available on request
Please email or telephone the Clerk for details
Orders by post please including a cheque made payable to: Messingham Parish Council

ALSO AVAILABLE :

ACCOUNT OF MESSINGHAM 1824

by the Reverend John MacKinnon M.A.
Reproduced by the Messingham History Group © 2007

Copies of this book can also be obtained from the Clerk to the Parish Council at a cost of £2.00 each (plus P & P).

Please telephone or email the Clerk for more details.

SPECIAL OFFER!

Buy both books for

£4.50

(plus p and p)

Contact Us

Address: Black Bank Farm
Black Bank
Susworth
North Lincs
DN17 3AX

Email the Clerk